top of page
Residential Housing Complex

Housing Provider Resources

From local, to State, to Federal, there are many resources to help with the housing rental process. Deerfield Valley Housing helps find them for you.


Dover and Wilmington Accessory Dwelling Unit Information

Are you interested in generating extra income by adding a rental unit to your current home? Vermont has grants and assistance available to make it easier to create an ADU (a smaller, independent residential dwelling unit located on the same lot as a stand-alone single family home.) ADUs are also called accessory apartments, secondary suites, mother-in-law apartments, or carriage houses, etc. They can be converted portions of existing homes, additions, or new or converted portions of stand-alone accessory structures.

See the Wilmington Flyer

See the Dover Flyer

Home Sharing & Support in the Deerfield Valley

The Dover/Wilmington Bi-Town Economic Sub-Committee on Affordable Housing is offering 3 online courses to interested persons who respond to this press release. Sharing Housing, Inc., a Dummerston, VT based nonprofit whose mission is to develop shared housing in communities through education and advocacy, has released two online courses encouraging shared housing as an answer to the twin crises of affordable housing and social isolation.


Learn More

Multi-Family Home Buyer Course Recordings

Brought to you by BDCC, SoVERMONT, Windham and Windosr Housing Trust, and USDA. Ready to buy a home but not sure how to afford it? Want to help provide more quality housing options for people in Southern VT? Join local experts for a four part series to learn more about resources for purchasing and owning a multi-family home! Four sessions in total were recorded in August 2023 and are available for anyone who may have missed them

Watch the Sessions Now



Vermont Housing Improvement Program (VHIP)

The State of Vermont is funding apartment repairs for up to $30,000 per unit! Applications for the Vermont Housing Improvement Program (VHIP) are now available- click on the buttom below to get started! 

Got questions? Contact Paul Martorano, 

802-689-0426 or sign up for the email list below for updates.


Learn More

VSHA Landlord Relief Program

The Landlord Relief Program provides an incentive and added security to landlords statewide who house Vermonters receiving rental assistance or who are homeless.

Learn More

Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development

Landlord-Tenant Educational Materials

The Vermont Apartment Owners' Association, a group representing Vermont landlords, and the Vermont Tenants program of the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity, a tenant advocacy organization, worked together to create educational materials for use by landlords and tenants in Vermont. The materials include a comprehensive guidebook, pamphlets on basic rental agreements; fair housing law; and Town Health Officer inspections, and a brief video outlining the legal eviction process. Designed for use by both landlords and tenants, these guides aim to provide information about Vermont's laws in order to ensure that each side of the rental agreement understands their rights and their responsibilities and how to address problems. According to the Vermont Housing Needs Assessment, approximately 75,784 Vermont households rent. This page has useful information and helpful resources for both renter households and owners of rental housing. For additional resources visit our Housing Links page.

Vermont Judiciary Landlord Tenant Information

This page provides general information about evictions in most residential rental situations. Some cities, such as Burlington and Barre, have other laws you should know about.

Vermont's Rental Housing Codes

This website outlines the legal rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants throughout the rental process and explains the standards that municipalities and town health officers should enforce when inspecting rental housing.


Short Term Rental health and safety checklist from the Division of Fire Safety

Information for Renters

If you're looking for an affordable apartment, try the Vermont Directory of Affordable Rental Housing or USDA's Rural Development Multi-Family Housing Rentals

Information and application forms for rental assistance and homeownership programs including mobile home parks, administered by the Vermont State Housing Authority are available at the VSHA website. Contact your local public housing authority if you live in any of the following cities: Barre, Bennington, Brattleboro, BurlingtonMontpelierRutland, Springfield and Winooski.

If you are homeless, need shelter, or are in danger of becoming homeless dial 2-1-1 or visit the Vermont Office of Economic Opportunity.

Vermont Rental Housing Health Code

The State Rental Housing Health Code (pdf) is enforced by the Local Health Officer and covers rented dwellings and mobile home lots that are not in a mobile home park.

Need information on the Landlord-Tenant or Mobile Home Park laws? The Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO) publishes and distributes Renting in Vermont, a handbook for tenants and landlords, and the Guide to Your Rights as a Mobile Home Park Resident (pdf), call 1-800-287-7971 for a copy. Facing a legal problem or eviction? Vermont Legal Aid helps eligible people (low income, elderly, and disabled) with legal issues in housing such as accessibility, discrimination, evictions, foreclosure, unsafe housing conditions, and subsidized housing issues. Call 1-800-889-2047 or visit Vermont Law Help for information and referral.

Concerned about lead poisoning? There's only one sure way to find out if your child has lead poisoning. Call the Vermont Department of Health at 1-800-439-8550 for information, or review the Department of Health Lead Resource Guide.

Membership organizations

The Vermont Apartment Owners Association is a statewide trade association for Vermont Landlords. It is based out of Shelburne, Vermont and advocates for, and educates landlords to assist them with providing quality rental housing. The VAOA website includes resources for both members and non-members.

Vermont Department of Public Safety; Division of Fire Safety

Landlords need to understand their obligations under building codes administered by the Vermont Department of Public Safety, Fire Safety Division.

Lead-based Paint

Vermont's lead law requires landlords who own properties built before 1978 to conduct several Essential Maintenance Practices (EMPs) to reduce the hazards of lead poisoning. Learn more at

If you own a home or apartment building and want to reduce the risk of lead poisoning caused by lead paint, check out VHCB's Lead-based Paint Hazard Reduction Program.

Landlord's Certificate and Renter Credit 

Contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2865 or toll-free at 1-866-828-2865, or visit their webpage:

Landlord Certificates | Department of Taxes (

Renter Credit | Department of Taxes ( (formerly renter rebate program)


Got Questions?


802-464-5100 x4



  • Facebook
  • Youtube
bottom of page